Rachel Hogan made the comments after the AQE test, which would normally provide a basis for deciding which primary children can enter grammars, was cancelled.
Meanwhile, primary school head teachers have spoken to the News Letter of upset, confusion, and frustration among parents, who have been left unsure of how their children can progress to a grammar school of their choice.
The AQE test (a kind of voluntary 11-plus) is normally used as a selection tool, and had been due to take place on February 27 – but was axed this week.
DUP minister Mr Weir then issued a statement saying: “Schools still have the opportunity to use either non-academically selective criteria or alternative data as a proxy for academic selection.”
Schools now have until January 22 to tell the Education Authority what their final admissions criteria is.
Mrs Hogan, who works for the Childrens’ Law Centre, says the department already has a list of criteria for schools to use – but that it is mere guidance, rather than a full and firm checklist.
That guidance criteria is (in the descending order of importance):
:: Priority should go to applicants entitled to free school meals;
:: Applicants from a feeder/named primary school;
:: Geographic criteria (applicants living in a particular parish or near the school)
:: Applicants who have a sibling currently attending the school;
:: And some unspecified “tie-breaker criteria”.
Ultimately schools “can use any criteria they like”, said Mrs Hogan. But if they do opt for different criteria, they may face legal challenges (and the department would not cover costs if they lost).
“Obviously some parents have called for using the last couple of test results or teacher assessment [instead of the AQE test], but I think the teaching unions aren’t keen to be put in a position of making these decisions on transfer,” she said.
“It’s now time for the department to take this nettle in hand and get it sorted out quickly. People need to be directed in an emergency. Guidance isn’t cutting it. People need to be directed.”
Nuala Hall, principal of Carrickfergus Central Primary School, said: “We’ve got some very anxious children and parents.
“There doesn’t seem to be anything to do with ability.
“That is very disappointing because we have children here who don’t have relatives at grammar school, who maybe [have] parents who never went to grammar school, and would’ve been able to pass this test – and they’re not going to be able to get in.”
Jack Wallace, principal of Stranmillis Primary School in south Belfast, said: “People are simply frustrated and confused and waiting for clarity. In general I’d like more leadership from the minister.”
More from this reporter: Ex-IRA bomber was on broadcast board when £44k given to McGuinness doc
More from this reporter: Serious winter flu cases virtually wiped out in Northern Ireland
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers — and consequently the revenue we receive — we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.
Subscribe to newsletter.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Ireland and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.
Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.
Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.