The local authority has pointed out that ‘if accidently swallowed, the small batteries which are found in toys and gadgets, aren’t only a choking hazard, but can also cause serious bodily harm’.
Karen Allen, Principal Environmental Health Officer for Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council said: “Button batteries are used in a wide range of toys, gadgets and other everyday objects such as car key fobs, calculators, hearing aids, digital scales, remote controls and watches.
“The number items in the home containing button batteries are likely to increase over the festive period. Everyone should be extra vigilant with musical cards, flameless candles and novelty toys. If a child does swallow a button battery, seek medical advice immediately,” she said.
For more information contact Environmental Health call 028 9034 0160 or email [email protected]