These 9 commonly littered items could be fatal for dogs

Parks and public spaces are seeing a rise in litter left lying around after gatherings for picnics or days out

Rubbish (Photo: Shutterstock)

But some rubbish left behind can be hazardous for your dog, so if you’re out walking your pooch it’s worth knowing that these nine items could pose a danger.

The American Kennel Club explains that cooked bones can splinter into shards that can cause choking and serious damage to a dog's mouth, throat, or intestines (Photo: Shutterstock)
Balloons can be a choking hazard for animals (Photo: Shutterstock)
When chewed or punctured, alkaline batteries leak a substance that can burn your dog’s mouth, esophagus or stomach. If your pet swallows a battery, this can cause an obstruction or blockage in their intestines (Photo: Shutterstock)
Food wrappers can cause choking or potential obstructions if your dog eats them (Photo: Shutterstock)
Xylitol is widely used as a sugar substitute and in sugar-free chewing gums and mints. The Blue Cross explains that depending on the concentration of xylitol and the size of the dog, just one stick of chewing gum is enough to be toxic and make your pet very ill (Photo: Shutterstock)
The American Kennel Club explains that young puppies in particular can break a plastic bottle easily and can then ingest the pieces, causing a blockage that requires emergency vet care. When a plastic water bottle breaks, it also creates sharp edges that can cut your dog’s mouth (Photo: Shutterstock)
String can pose a danger to your dog if eaten (Photo: Shutterstock)
Silica gel comes in small sachets. The Blue Cross explains that although it is labelled ‘Do not Eat’, it is considered to be of low toxicity (Photo: Shutterstock)
The Blue Cross explains that nicotine is toxic to dogs, and cigarette butts are especially dangerous. Nicotine replacement patches and e-cigarette refills can also pose a risk. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, excess saliva and hypertension (Photo: Shutterstock)