Blaze destroys bungalow

A charity volunteer helped an elderly couple from Crumlin whose house went on fire last Thursday morning.

The man grabbed a fire extinguisher that he had in the Hope 365 van to stop an oil river from the premises at Manse Road, which was well ablaze, reaching a neighbouring oil tank until the Fire Brigade arrived.

The Manse Road was closed for some time causing traffic disruption for most of the day as firefighters dealt with the blaze which had already spread to an oil tank at the bungalow. One man was treated for shock at the scene.

Sign up to our daily NorthernIrelandWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said they received a call at 11.38am to report a fire at residential premises in the Manse Road.

He said two appliances from Antrim Fire Station and one fire appliance each from Crumlin and Westland Fire Stations were deployed to the scene. “The Command Support Unit from Lisburn Fire Station and the Fire Emergency Support Service vehicle were also in attendance,” he added.

The spokesman said a man was treated for shock at the scene after he returned to find his burning home, and a number of neighbouring properties in the area had to be evacuated. The road closure caused traffic disruption in the Crumlin area for most of the day.

Henrietta Mullan posted on Facebook, “That is awful.“Thank God no one got hurt you can replace things.”

Francene Jordan also posted, “OMG this is devastating.”