The Council’s concern relates to a potential safety issue with this particular model that the manufacturer has notified retailers about. However, despite extensive efforts to contact the relevant customers, three individuals who purchased this model from a Lisburn based retailer have not yet been identified.
Recent test results have confirmed that these alarms may not detect certain levels of carbon monoxide and as a result have been taken off sale. All existing stock has been quarantined while recalling those already sold.
Councillor Andrew Ewing, Chairman of the Council’s Environmental Services Committee said: “Sensor Safe Ltd has issued a statement requesting that any customer in possession of the SF80190 alarm should stop using it immediately - it can be returned to the place of purchase. Following the unexpected deaths of two teenagers in Castlerock and a couple in Fermanagh in 2010 there was a soar in the sales of carbon monoxide detectors.
“Manufacturers, suppliers and retailers of these detectors remain vigilant about the products and their vital role within properties that use natural gas as a source of heat. The Council supports the work of these organisations in ensuring that the number of deaths and casualties in Northern Ireland as a result of this lethal gas is kept to a minimum.
“If you have a carbon monoxide detector please check its model number today and if it is a SF80190 please contact the Council’s Environmental Health Service on 028 9250 9250,” he concluded.