Defendant's mother had to intervene in alleged assault

A man alleged to have undertaken a 'sustained level of repeat brutality over ten hours' against two women has been refused bail.

Dungannon Courthouse

Appearing before East Tyrone Magistrate’s Court to apply for bail was 26-year-old Adam Gordon Frizelle from Hillcrest Park in Moygashel.

He stands accused of three assaults occasioning actual bodily harm on two women, and another charge of resisting police. All the charges relate to alleged offences on August 14th.

Outlining the case, a constable from the PSNI told the court how the injured parties claimed that they had been at a house the night before when the defendant had attacked one of them with a Buckfast bottle and punched her in the head out of the blue.

The two women had fled into a car but Frizelle had forced his way into the back seat. At the Oaks Road he said that he had reached from behind and grabbed one of the women by the hair and punched her.

The other woman intervened before seeking help at a nearby fast-food restaurant.

Nevertheless, the two women agreed to drop him off at another address where, as she got out to let him exit, he reputedly attacked again, grabbing her by the hair, knocking her to the ground and kicking her in the head. The second woman was also assaulted and both fled the scene, reporting the incident to police.

At 1pm the next day one of the women made a pre-arranged visit to the defendant’s mother’s house to pick up their son. The court heard that she alleged another attack which left her with “finger-sized bruises” to her neck.

The defendant’s mother had to intervene to stop the assault, the constable told the court.

The injured party was making a statement to the police when he arrived at her address and “CS spray was needed to bring him under control”.

Mr Blaine Nugent, defending, suggested that the court’s fears about re-offending could be tempered by the imposition of strict conditions, including tagging, a curfew, and complete ban on alcohol.

“He remained free of alcohol from 2013. His grandmother received some bad news ... he did not deal well with that.

“His job will almost certainly be lost if he remains in custody.”

Refusing bail, District Judge John Meehan said, “He made a no comment interview and refused to look at photographs (of the women’s injuries) ... which indicates a cold bloodedness in sobriety.

“This court has no confidence in a man who remains silent and unabashed ... after attacks of a frightening and unrestrained nature.

“This was a sustained level of repeat brutality over ten hours against two women.”

The case was adjourned until Setpember 21st when the defendant will appear via video link.