Dunclug students live up to great expectations!

MANY senior students of Dunclug College "excelled well beyond their expectations" at 'A' level, principal, Ruth Wilson has said.

The number of pupils accessing and sitting subjects at AS & A Level was at record level in 2010 and almost 90% of students who sat A Level achieved a minimum of two passing grades.

Fifty-six per cent achieved three A level grades, qualifying for a wide range of University places while 58% of all grades sat were A – C grades and 81% of all grades were Grade D or better.

Sign up to our daily NorthernIrelandWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Those achieving three high level grades were: Nikita Kirk, Nicole Hunter, Eryn Purdy, Rebekah Martin, Naomi Thompson, Susan Smyth, Kris Mills, Mark Toner, Ryan Russell, Emma McNabney, Steven McGall, Rachel Rooney, Rachel Jones, Andrew McIlmoyle, Christopher Currie, Matthew Tuff, Keely Lynn, Dean Archer, Matthew Armstrong, Jamie-Lee Christie, Victoria Corry, Lynsey Gregg, Catherine Hamilton, Jessica Courtney, Paula Barr, Carrie Fleck and Samantha Given.

Special congratulations go to Rachel Hayes and Adam Sneddon for outstanding progress at A Level, overcoming very successfully their learning challenges through commitment and perseverance.

The following subject areas enjoyed particular success: Double Award Business Studies (100% A – B), Moving Image Arts, (100% A – C), Business Studies (90% A – C, 100% A - D grades), Sports’ Studies (83% Distinction and the remaining 17% Pass grade), History (100% A – D), Home Economics (75% A – B, 25% C - D), Art & Design (100% A – D), Design & Technology (100% A – E), Travel & Tourism (100% A – E), Performing Arts (100% A – E), Health & Social Care (93% A – E), Information Technology (92% A – E), and Biology (90% A – E),

AS Level results also indicate very promising progress, said Mrs Wilson, with outstanding performance at this stage from Alannah Morrow, Joanne Hamill, Choki Lau and many others.

The college now offers from a choice of 27 A Level subjects (inc. a small number through collaboration with NRC or other schools), to over 100 pupils – a blend of general and applied courses, in well-linked combinations that are designed to open up pathways and opportunities for a wide range of careers and onwards third Level courses.

Mrs Wilson congratulated the young people on their success, many of whom excelled well beyond their expectations.

In thanking the teaching staff for their work, Mrs Wilson noted the high standards of teaching and the commitment, care and support shown by the staff towards their pupils facing the challenges of A Level.