Former Crumlin woman weathers Hurricane Sandy

A FORMER Crumlin woman Amanda Murphy has spoken of the devastation that Superstorm Sandy has left behind in the state of Pennsylvania where there was a state of emergency declared for two days.

Amanda, who lives in Philadelphia and who works as a store manager in a shopping mall was staying with her parents in Delaware where she remained in their three storey house while they braced themselves for the worst while the hurricane raged through America killing up to 38 people.

Amanda had been at the nearby Rehoboth Beach on Sunday evening when a mandatory evacuation was declared and she and others were forced to leave. Under the state of emergency there a fine of $250 was declared on anyone who dared to venture outside.

So Amanda and her family got supplies and took cover in their home while the hurricane caused widespread floods, bringing trees and power lines down.

Some houses were boarded up, schools and malls were closed, while supermarket shelves emptied as residents stocked up amidst reports from power companies that the storm would cause mass power cuts which could last for several days.

On Monday she wrote, “We are in the direct line of the storm. The mall is closed today and tomorrow. Most everything is shut down due to the state of emergency. Flooding, high winds and downed power lines make for hazardous conditions and people are staying put in their homes.

“We still have power but we along with at least four other states are in a ‘state of emergency’.”

“The fine for going out if it is not an emergency is $250. We are in for a rough few days. All shops, restaurants, schools are closed today and tomorrow.”

“We have supplies in and I am working on my school work. Our home is a three storey town home and our biggest worries are trees falling.

“Been staying on our middle level. We have power currently but it is expected to go out and it is just getting dark here 6.20pm.

“The storm is supposed to make land fall within the next half hour in and around the atlantic city area (about an hour from us). “The storm was a category 1 hurricane but they are saying it will become a nor easter once it hits land.”

On Tuesday, motorists were still banned from the roads, while many looked out at the devastation that the hurricane left behind.

“We did not lose power but many in our area were without power last night (Monday),” wrote Amanda on Tuesday.

“There are trees that have fallen, power lines down and flooding that emergency crews are trying to get to as soon as possible. Most all channels have coverage of the storm today too. Winds are still high and the rain has not stopped since Sunday afternoon.”

Amanda, who is also studying a second degree, said that because she was not allowed to work or venture outside she spent time catching up on school work and television.

On Tuesday afternoon, she wrote, “The brunt of the storm has passed, We are now down graded to a tropical storm but it can still be dangerous out. Still heavy rain and high winds. We are still not allowed out of our homes as of 8.30am Tuesday.”

Later on she wrote, “We were very lucky. Our home is sturdy and fairly new. We have not needed to take shelter and have kept our electricity on.

“The worst hit were Atlantic City, NJ and New York City from what we are hearing on the news. I can see many branches down, leaves everywhere and some widespread flooding.

“I was at the shore (Rehoboth Beach, DE) until we had a mandatory evacuation 8pm on Sunday night.

On Wednesday at 2.45pm Amanda issued this update: “Power is out in areas but things are beginning to open back up. Still rainy and windy as of 10.30pm.”

Later that day she posted, “Phone lines are down so no land line phone or internet is working. More power outages and lines down to come with the weather.”

In Delaware over 8,600 customers were without power and were warned that some customers would still be without power until Friday.