According to the councillor, the vandals entered the locked park sometime on Wednesday night and felled eight or nine mature trees, which were some 15ft tall and had been planted 15 years ago as part of the refurbishment of the facilities.
The culprits then tried unsuccessfully to hurl the trees over fencing at the rear of the park.
“I condemn the actions of those who went into this park in the middle of the night and cut down these trees. The question is ‘why?’,” said Alderman Clarke
“It was a sickening sight and is nothing short of criminal damage.
“The police have been informed and CCTV in the area is being checked,” said Alderman Clarke who praised Council’s Parks Department for clearing the debris.
“Whoever is behind this, they should know that Council has spent a lot of money over the years on facilities like this but if people continue to damage things Council will think twice about spending any more. So this sort of vandalism hurts everybody,” said Alderman Clarke who appealed to anyone with any information to contact Ballymena PSNI.