Man and woman, arrested after stabbing in Portadown, released on bail

A man and woman, arrested after another man was stabbed in Portadown, have been released on bail.

It is understood a man was stabbed at around 8.30am on Monday morning but the emergency services did not get a call until after 11am on Monday.

The man was rushed to Belfast’s Royal Victoria Hospital.

A PSNI spokesperson said on Monday: “Detectives investigating the report of a stabbing of a man in the Hobson Park area of Portadown at approximately 11.08am, Monday August 23rd, have arrested a 25-year-old woman and a 31-year-old man.

Police at the scene of an incident in Fitzroy Street, Portadown.

“The 25-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm, and possession of an offensive weapon.

“The 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and of causing grievous bodily harm.”

Today (Tuesday) the PSNI said: “A 25-year-old woman and 31-year-old man, arrested in connection with the stabbing of a man in the Hobson Park area of Portadown yesterday, Monday August 23rd, have been released on bail pending further enquiries.”

Detective Sergeant Wilson said: “Our enquiries are continuing and we are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact detectives on 101 quoting reference number 598 23/08/21.

Police at the scene of an incident in Fitzroy Street, Portadown.

“Or, if someone would prefer to provide information without giving their details they can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers and speak to them anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

The NI Ambulance Service and the PSNI attended the scene after a 999 call just after 11am on Monday morning.

A spokesperson for the NI Ambulance Service said: “The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service received a 999 call at 11.03 on Monday, 23 August 2021 following reports of a stabbing incident in the Portadown area.

“In total NIAS despatched three Emergency Crews and two ambulance officers to the scene.

“Charity ambulance with HEMS on board was also tasked to the incident.

“Following assessment and initial treatment at the scene, one patient was taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital by ambulance.”



Portadown man remains ‘critically ill’ after ‘serious assault’ Read full story here



Editor’s Message:

Thank you for reading this article. We’re more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a copy of the paper. You can also support trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription of the News Letter.