NIHE surveying housing needs

Does Portglenone or Carnlough need new social housing? The Housing Executive is currently undertaking an exercise to find out.

As part of the exercise, the Executive (NIHE) is also examining interest in buying an affordable home through shared ownership – part buy/part rent.

The exercise runs until March 20 and anyone who needs a home is being encouraged to register their interest by that date.

Local Area Manager, Mairead Myles Davey, said: “Usually the Housing Executive checks its housing waiting lists to determine housing need. However, in rural areas people sometimes do not register as they feel they will have little chance of being housed.

“This means that in many rural areas the need for new housing can remain hidden. Carnlough and Portglenone are areas where we want to find out if houses are needed.”

It is essential that anyone in genuine housing need comes forward and registers with the Housing Executive. If the need for new dwellings exists, this can be highlighted to Housing Associations who will seek to develop an appropriate site. People can register by simply phoning 25667881 and quote reference LD Carnlough or LD Portglenone.

If you register an interest, you may be contacted by a Housing Officer to complete an application.

The Housing Executive is grateful to local community representatives who are helping us with this exercise for which leaflets have been distributed across the local community.