Paul Johnston, chief executive at Gas Safe Register said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. In the last year alone 18 people died and a further 399 were hospitalised.
“With Gas Safety Week we want to encourage the public to only use Gas Safe registered engineers to fit, fix and service their gas appliances and to raise awareness of the importance of having an annual safety check.”
This Gas Safety Week Gas Safe Register shared its Top Tips with readers in Limavady to encourage them to stay gas safe: Have your gas appliances safety checked every year. If you rent your home make sure your landlord arranges this. Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service gas appliances. Ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones could be a sign your gas appliance is not working correctly.
Fit a carbon monoxide alarm. Choose an audible alarm which will alert you if there is carbon monoxide (CO) in your home. CO alarms must comply with British Standard EN 50291 and be marked accordingly.
If you smell gas call the natural gas emergency number on 0800 002 001. If someone other than a Gas Safe registered engineer carries out gas work at your home, you could be risking the safety of your family and your property.
For more information on gas safety go to www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk