Child Benefit update deadline looms

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is reminding parents and carers they have until Tuesday, August 31 to confirm whether their teenagers are staying in full-time education or training beyond 16.

With teenagers across the Northern Ireland having recently received their GCSE results and are now considering their future. If they decide to continue their full-time education or training, parents or carers will be eligible to continue receiving Child Benefit payments for their child.

HMRC has sent reminder letters to families receiving Child Benefit for their child in the last year of school or home education. If their child is staying in education beyond age 16, parents or carers must notify HMRC by the end of August, or their Child Benefit will be stopped.

It is quick and easy to update Child Benefit records via GOV.UK. Alternatively, parents or carers can return the 297b form sent to them by HMRC.

Police are advising people to never hand over goods until they have payment either in the form of cash in their hand or in their bank account.

Child Benefit is paid to eligible parents or carers who are responsible for a child under 16, or under 20 if they are in full-time non-advanced education or approved training.

Parents or carers receiving Child Benefit and who also have an income over £50,000 (or their partner does), may have to pay the High Income Child Benefit Charge via an annual Self Assessment tax return.

Post Office card accounts are closing. From November 30, 2021, HMRC will stop making payments of Child Benefit, Guardians Allowance and tax credits, into Post Office card accounts. HMRC is reminding any Child Benefit and tax credits customers who use this account to receive their payments, that they will need to notify HMRC of their new bank, building society or credit union account details.

HMRC is encouraging customers to act now so they do not miss any payments once their Post Office account closes. They can contact HMRC’s helpline (0345 300 3900) or use their Personal Tax Account.

To find out how to open a bank account, visit Citizens Advice.