Police incidents in the Banbridge district

The Banbridge district was the scene for two police incidents in the past week.


Police received a report that a female had been kidnapped and assaulted on Friday (March 6).

The female managed to escape her attacker just off the A1 and raised the alarm, as the attacker ran off.

The male suspect is believed to have stolen a vehicle from a nearby house, and then made off northbound on the A1. The vehicle was later involved in a collision near to Sprucefield.

With assistance from Lisburn police a 29-year-old male was detained and arrested by Banbridge officers and later charged with various offences including kidnapping, false imprisonment and attempted robbery.

He was due to appear at Newry Magistrates Court on Saturday morning, March 7.

Detective Chief Inspector Stephen Wright explained: “We are investigating a report of a 35 year old female being assaulted by a man in the Hilltown area early (Friday) morning and being forced into a silver Ford car.

“The car was driven to Knockgorm Road in Katesbridge where the female made off and sought help. Her assailant also made off from the area.

“A short time later, around 7.40am, a vehicle was stolen in the Banbridge area. The green Mercedes jeep was abandoned in the Sprucefield area just before 8am following a collision with other vehicles.” He added: “The female victim sustained injuries to her face and head which required medical treatment.”

Meanwhile on Tuesday, March 3 a car was stopped by police in the Banbridge area and a man was arrested. A sum of cash was recovered from the car. The police helicopter assisted in the investigation and a second male was arrested in the Lurgan area.

This followed a report of a burglary involving two males at business premises in Flush Place, Lurgan around 12.10pm on the same day. A sum of cash was taken from a handbag and the men made off in a blue car.

Detective Chief Inspector Stephen Wright said: “Both men, aged 23 and 35 years old, were later charged and appeared at Craigavon Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday March 4, where they submitted guilty pleas to a charge of burglary. Both men were sentenced to six months imprisonment, suspended for three years.”