Shock expressed as firefighters tackle blaze in Carrick

The Deputy Mayor of Mid and East Antrim Borough Council has spoken of his shock at hearing news of this morning’s fire at Abbey Upholsterers in Carrick.

UUP Councillor Andrew Wilson said images of the fire at Meadowbank Road site “looked devastating”.

“My thoughts are with the owners, management and staff of the company who must be in a state of shock,” he said.

“As an important local business who employ a considerable number of residents, I hope they can move forward from this incident as quickly as possible,” added Cllr Wilson.

The scene of the fire at Abbey Upholsterers in Carrick. Picture: NIFRS

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) said they received a call at 3.29am this morning (Saturday) to the fire at the large industrial unit.

Their latest report on the incident details that there are currently six pumping appliances plus specialist appliances, with a total of 58 firefighters in attendance.

“There are no reports of any injuries. We are encouraging local residents to keep their windows closed due to smoke in the area,” said a NIFRS spokesperson.

The PSNI have said the Sloefield Road is closed as a result of the incident and urged motorists to avoid the area.