Storms batter north Antrim - latest, noon, Friday.

NORTH Antrim was battered by strong winds over night and although many workers and schools are still off today (Friday January 3) on their Christmas and New Year holidays, others were able to make safe passage in the stormy conditions to their places of work.

The storm meant the Rathlin Ferry has again fallen foul of the weather with the DRD Roads Service’s Trafficwatch Northern Ireland website saying services have been cancelled for the rest of the day.

The Times this morning logged calls with the Roads Service and police for updates on the conditions on roads in the Ballymoney and Moyle areas possibly affected by flooding or fallen trees.

If there are updates we intend to bring them to you on our website.

If the public have any information, and/or photographs, they would like to share with us, please email [email protected]

On twitter Kellyann McKillen said this morning (Friday): “So windy in Ballycastle, sounds like the worst we’ve had over the past few weeks”.

However, also this morning on twitter, Jenna Harris said she thought everyone was getting “hyped up” about the weather as she said she lives in Cushendall and they were having light winds.

On Friday morning, Roads Service issued the following statement to the Times: “There is nothing to report momentarily from the Ballymoney/Moyle area regarding flooding, however a retaining wall has partially collapsed on Glassmullen Road Glenariff adjacent to house No 24.

“An initial assessment has been undertaken and it now requires the immediate closure of Glassmullen Road to through traffic from its junction with A43 Glenariff Road to its junction with C79 Glen Road.

“This action is precautionary to ensure that traffic does not destabilise the retaining wall any further. Access to premises along Glassmullen Road will only be available from either end of Glassmullen Road, the actual closure being at house No 24. A traffic diversion will be in place via Glenariff Road and Glen Road.

“Roads Service plan to carry out further detailed site investigations to initiate repair works as quickly as possible,” said the statement.

However, it is now understood the road could be closed for a number of weeks.