Super display against a superior side

TOWN Juniors Under-14s welcomed National League side Lisburn Youth to Cheney Park for the NIBFA Cup second round and the locals produced a super display against a superior side.

The Juniors were fired up from the whistle and set the game off at a frantic pace, giving the away side no time on the ball and restricting them to shots from range.

Town held their own and began to play their football - almost taking the lead when the ball was played down the left for Owen Byrne to break, but his shot drifted narrowly wide of the post.

This gave the Lisburn outfit a rude awakening, and they realised they were not going to get an easy game from the lower league team.

The visitors were restricted to long range shots as the Juniors shackled their midfield and didn’t give them a second on the ball.

Any shots on goal from the Lisburn forwards were easily dispatched by the ever confident Conor Ward between the sticks.

The Juniors almost broke the deadlock when Owen Byrne whipped in a corner, which was met by the head of Lee Ward only to see his effort go just over the bar, but it was Lisburn who scored the opening goal, when they converted a corner just on half time despite the best effort of Liam Farrell who was unlucky not to clear off the line.

In the second half the Juniors were unfazed by the Lisburn goal and began the same way they did the first half.

With early injuries to the tireless Josh Dennsion and the hard working Ethan McDonald, the Juniors reshuffled the pack and went in search of an equaliser, and were unlucky not to level when winger Jake Dennison hit a shot from just past the half way line but it fell short just before it found the net, much to the Lisburn keeper’s relief.

Despite the best efforts of the Juniors, Lisburn got their second 20 minutes into the second half, arguably against the run of play, when they broke and scored.

The visitors added a third two minutes later, striking before the Juniors could regroup. The Banbridge boys refused to lie down and created opportunities of their own, with some fine displays from Jonny Rodgers and Owen Byrne.

Lisburn, however, put the final nail in the coffin five minutes from the end when they scored their fourth with a fine solo effort.

This was a fantastic display from the locals who played their hearts out and gave their National League opposition a match they will not forget any time soon.

This week’s man of the match was keeper Connor Ward for a commanding display between the posts.

Related topics: