Tributes paid to '˜beloved husband and father' after incident at Terex plant

Tributes have been paid to a 51-year-old father-of-two who died following an incident at Terex Finlay, while another man was also injured at the site.

Stevie McTeague
Stevie McTeague
Stevie McTeague

Stevie McTeague passed away in hospital after sustaining fatal injuries when he became trapped under machinery on Thursday afternoon (July 14).

He had just moved to the Loughmacrory area with his family – wife Helen and children Conor and Ryan - six months ago.

Police confirmed that Mr McTeague was working at premises in Killyclogher when the incident occurred.

A spokesman added that a post mortem examination would be carried out in due course.

Mr McTeague’s family described him as a “beloved husband and devoted father” in a family notice, while tributes have also come in from others who knew him.

Omagh and District Snooker League posted the following statement on their Facebook page: “The committee and members of Omagh and District Snooker wish to offer our condolences to the McTeague family and wider circle on the tragic death of Stevie, who was a member of our league from a very young age. ”

Mr McTeague, a keen photographer, also managed a Facebook page called Stevie ‘Mac’ Photos, where he posted pictures of cars, bikes and events he attended.

In a statement to the Mail, Terex Finlay said today: “We are very sad to confirm that our colleague, Steven McTeague, based at the Cookstown Road, Omagh site of Terex, passed away in hospital In Enniskillen on Saturday, July 16, following an accident at the site. Our concern at this moment is for the family, friends and colleagues.

“We are working with internal and external experts to investigate the root cause of this tragic accident,” said a spokesman, adding that Terex was “fully committed to supporting a thorough investigation”.

“As always, we are mindful of the well-being and safety of our other team members. We are providing on-site counselling to help team members deal with this tragic event.”

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland confirmed it is “investigating a workplace incident at business premises in the Omagh area on July 14 which led to the death of an employee”.

He added: “Our sympathies are with the bereaved family at this most difficult time. We have no further comment to make at this stage of our investigation.”