Berthas suffer blow in title charge

Glebe Rangers Old Boys moved another step closer to regaining the Hutchinson Tiles Winter League title last Saturday without having to kick a ball.

Action from West Bann Athletic's 6-2 win over Bertha's last Saturday.
Action from West Bann Athletic's 6-2 win over Bertha's last Saturday.
Action from West Bann Athletic's 6-2 win over Bertha's last Saturday.

That’s because nearest challengers Berthas FC suffered a heavy defeat away to West Bann Athletic.

Millburn also took this opportunity to move up into second place with a good hard fought win at home to Portrush Old Boys.

West Bann Athletic 6 Berthas FC 2

West Bann Athletic met Berthas FC at a blustery Rugby Avenue with the three points crucial to the visitors if they were to maintain there title challenge. Athletic took an early lead from the penalty spot through Lee Nevin. Berthas however equalised through Andy McAuley, whose cross-cum-shot deceived everyone and ended up in the net.

Athletic were awarded another penalty shortly after, Nevin again stepped up and made no mistake coolly slotting in the same corner as before. And he grabbed his hat-trick and made it 3-1 before half time starting and finishing the move with a great header into the top right hand corner.

Athletic with the wind in the second half switched off in the opening 10 minutes of the half and allowed Berthas back in to the game as they scored to make it 3-2 through Phil Stockman.

Athletic though made it 4-2 on the hour with new signing Dylan Neill rounding the goalkeeper to score his second goal in as many games. Athletic skipper Nathan Black made it 5-2 finishing well after great build up play. Greg McAfee made it 6-2 to Athletic late on with a deft finish in a packed penalty area giving the keeper no chance.

Berthas had the chance to make it 6-3 at the death however the Athletic goalkeeper saved Michael McLaughlin’s spot kick to keep the scoreline West Bann Athletic 6 Berthas 2 at the final whistle. Man of the Match: Lee Nevin / Dylan Neill (WBAFC)

Millburn FC 2 Portrush Old Boys 0

Millburn took all three points at a very windy Crescent Playing Fields.

The hosts took the lead on the half hour as Boreland’s throw was headed home by Tosh. It was 2-0 soon after as Cahoon, Boreland and McDonald all linked up, before Cahoon skipped past two defenders and smashed the ball home.

Just before the break Portrush had a great chance to pull a goal back as Tweed broke clear, but McDowell produced a great save to deny him.

There were few chances in the second half as the Millburn defence stood firm. Man of the Match: A.Campbell (Millburn FC)

Fixtures for Saturday 7th February

Ballyrashane v Millburn FC Rugby Avenue 4

Bertha’s FC v Dunaghy Old Boy’s Castlerock

Coleraine Olympic v Balnamore Crescent 3

Finn McCool’s v FC Windyhall Bushmills

Portrush Old Boys FC vs Glebe Rangers Old Boys Rugby Avenue 3

West Bann Athletic v Hazelbank Rugby Avenue 1