Courts catch fire in league

LINCOLN COURTS have all but guaranteed second spot in the league thanks to a terrific winning streak that has seen them claim 15 points from five games in 10 days.

The run has seen them score 13, concede nil, and in the last week defeat Drummond, BB Old Boys and Roe Rovers.

Lincoln edged Drummond at home 1-0 last Tuesday night. In an end to end match from start to finish, a solitary goal from Kolyn Patterson was enough to grab all three points.

Defence was the order of the day as both backlines were in top form and cancelled out most of the attacking play.

The goal came after 25 minutes when a fine run and pass from Stevie Mooney found Skipper Patterson 30 yards from goal. Noticing the 'keeper off his line, Patterson proceeded to send a delightful chip over his head, to notch a goal worthy of winning any match.

BBOB were the visitors last Thursday evening, but after 90 minutes they must have wished they hadn't bothered after being dismantled by five goals to nil after a scintillating second half showing by the home side.

Another clean sheet for the back four of Thomas, Campbell, Cooke and Laverty was welcome, but it was the attackers that earned the plaudits on this night, particularly substitute Craig Young, who netted a hatrick in the last 25 minutes.

BBOB looked a shadow of their former selves and never really looked like coming close to seriously testing the Lincoln rearguard. After the first half ended with a blank score sheet, Lincoln came out all guns blazing to open the scoring through Stevie Mooney who drilled a low shot from inside the area past the 'keeper.

Five minutes later Mark Hamilton was on target to make it 2-0, before the start of the Young show.

Two neat finished accounted for his first two goals, but he saved the best for last, beating the offside trap to go one-on-one with the 'keeper before calming rounding him to slot the ball home.

Saturday saw an in-form Roe Rovers come to town, but they too couldn't contain a slick Lincoln performance.

The home side took control of the game mid-way through the first half, a long clearance from 'keeper Ian Killen was flicked on by Craig Young into the path of Stevie Mooney, who in turn played an inch perfect pass to Mark Hamilton, who finished with a controlled side foot effort.

In the second half Lincoln's midfield duo of Lee Lynch and Gordon Murray took the game by the scruff of the neck and were the driving force that led to two further goals.

Murray himself got the second after nodding the ball home from a Dean Cooke cross from the left flank, before right full-back Scott Thomas completed the scoring after tapping in from close range after the Rovers 'keeper could only parry a Mooney strike.

Related topics: