Defeat in the morning but cup win in the afternoon for Reds under-12s

Once again the weather played havoc with Carniny Youth FC's scheduled fixture list last Saturday with a number of games off.

Carniny Youth U-12s quickly close down Fivemiletown during Saturday's NIBFA Cup tie at the Showgrounds. INBT 07-832H

However, the teams that did manage to get their games played certainly came away with a successful day of football with plenty to cheer about.

The Under 12s were up against it last Saturday forced into playing two games, one match in the cup in the Lisburn Youth League in the morning and the main event of the day, their NIBFA Cup match against Fivemiletown back in Ballymena late Saturday afternoon.

The lads may have had their minds on their NIBFA match in the morning, losing out to Colin Valley down in Lisburn but their disappointment was short lived when they came back to win their NIBFA after an exciting penalty shoot out.

A Carniny Youth U-12 player releases the ball quickly during Saturday's NIBFA CUp tie against Fivemiletown. INBT 07-831H

The U11s had a good Lisburn cup win, knocking out Irish League Academy side, Glenavon.

The Under 15s were also in winning form in the NIBFA National League, travelling to Lurgan to play a ‘home’ match against another Irish league side, Warrenpoint Town and coming away 4-0 winners. The U19s also had a pleasing away win playing in the Premier Youth League, beating Annagh 4-1.

The U8s and 9s welcomed the return of the IFA SSGs at the Showgrounds with both age groups playing a handful of matches against local teams from Ballymena United YA and Northend.

The seven a side Small sides games recommenced on Saturday morning for the U9 age group at Ballymena Showgrounds. Carniny fielded two teams who both performed really well.

Carniny U-12 race Fivemiletown for the dropping ball during their match on the Showgrounds 3G. INBT 07-833H

Amateurs Squad; Adam Wharry, Charley Gregg, Matthew Turtle, Callum Fletcher, Harry Lamont, Zack McAtamney, Alex Armstrong, Daniel McKane.

Youths: Callum McDonald, Conor Scullion, Evan Andrews, Jack Campbell, Grace Campbell, Kyal Rainey, Reuben Burnett.


Carniny Youth 3, Glenavon 2: Carniny took the lead when Sam Magee’s corner was cleared back out to him and he fired home from an acute angle.

A Carniny Youth U-12 player releases the ball quickly during Saturday's NIBFA CUp tie against Fivemiletown. INBT 07-831H

Then Magee won the ball and played it back to Kenzie McMullan who fired into the top corner from 25 yards for 2-0.

Carniny made it 3-0 when Ben Kennedy’s shot was saved and Anthony Greer was on hand to tap home.

Carniny threatened to undo their good work in the second half as they allowed Glenavon to get back into the game at 3-2 but the Ballymena boys went through in the end.

Carniny: Strange, Douglas, Murray, Graham, Greer, McMullan, Magee, McMullan, Kennedy, McKee, Scott

Carniny U-12 race Fivemiletown for the dropping ball during their match on the Showgrounds 3G. INBT 07-833H


Carniny Youth 1, Colin Valley 4: The boys obviously had other things on their minds playing this game as after taking the lead they lost out to Colin Valley in the LIYL KO Cup. Their focus was perhaps on their NIBFA Cup game back in Ballymena late Saturday afternoon.

Carniny Youth 0, Fivemiletown United 0 (Carniny won 4-3 on pens): A game which saw little between the sides eventually went to the dreaded penalty shoot out. Fortunately the visitors missed one of the spot kicks and Carniny’s Keeper Nathanael Hanna produced a good save to see Carniny into the next round.


Carniny Youth 4, Warrenpoint Town 0: Carniny dominated the first half without being able to break the deadlock, the closest being when Lorimer’s effort clipped the bottom of the post and went wide.

The second half began with Carniny straight out of the blocks awith Lorimer tucking away from close range. Carniny now had the confidence up and soon doubled the lead with a nice move down the right Lorimer crossed in for O’Boyle to fire home with his first for the club.

A few changes were made and again it paid off with Shaw tucking home to make it 3-0. Town refused to lie down and battled away and Fry had to make a few good solid saves to keep the score as it was. Carniny playing well added a fourth with Woodin calmly finishing to put the game to bed.

Carniny: Fry, Fleming, Ouestlati, Brady, McDonald, Parker, Kelly, Campbell, Lorimer, Patchett, O’Boyle, Shaw, Smyth, Gordon, Kirk, Woodin.


Carniny Youth 0, Crusaders Youth Academy 2: Carniny from NL ‘B’ came within eight minutes of taking NL ‘A’ league leaders Crusaders to extra time in the National League Cup.

After a scoreless first half, Carniny had a chance when Peter Rankin was able to get free in the area and when his shot was blocked James McDonnell was unable to get a clear shot on goal.

With eight minutes left Crusaders broke the deadlock and it was going to take something special to beat Gareth Kealey in the Carniny goal. A Crusaders player picked the ball up just outside the penalty area and he saw his curling shot beat Kealey and go in off the post.

Carniny pushed forward looking for the equaliser but it was not to be and Crusaders added a second right at the death in fact there wasn’t even time for Carniny to restart.

Carniny: Kealey, Hull, McComb, Lemon, McKee, Greer, Johnston, McDonnell, Doherty, Holmes, Rankin, McVeigh, Henderson, Hassan.


Carniny Youth 4, Annagh United 1: Carniny got off to a flyer when James Price got onto the end of a Benji Agnew pass after five minutes to put the visitors ahead.

On the hour mark Carniny doubled their lead when the newly introduced Tyrone Balmer turned in the penalty area to fire home and make it 2-0.

On 70 minutes the home side did pull a goal back when Annagh beat the offside trap to reduce the arrears to make it 2-1 for the visitors.

This failed to deflate Carniny and on the 80th minute the reds made it 3-1 when Darren McCormick scored with a neat backwards header.

Cormac Lemon and Conor Doherty were industrious in the midfield and it was the latter who pressurised the home keeper into a mistake on 90 minutes earning himself a simple tap in.

Carniny: Shannon, Calderwood, Jaworski, Armstrong, McCormick, Lemon, McCann, Doherty, Hagan, Agnew, Price, Nowak, McDonnell Balmer.


The club ran a Footballathon day last Sunday at the Sportshut Ballymena for its teams from Under 9s right through to U19s. The indoor event was run with players raising sponsorship for team funds and funds to assist the five teams who will play in the Foyle Cup in the summer. The event lasted from early morning right through to early Sunday evening.

The club would like to thank Cliffy and Debbie Adams for the use of The Sportshut to host the event.