Dubious penalty decision sends Loughall through

Bob Radcliffe Cup - Loughgall 1 - Coagh 0

A DUBIOUS penalty for Loughgall in the second half was the only difference between these two sides who served up entertaining, end to end football for ninety minutes.

Coagh certainly did not look out of place against their senior opposition especially in the first half when they controlled the game for long periods. The home side came out stronger in the second half and gave Coagh a few scares before they were handed a gift of a penalty by whistler Damian Basketfield.

Both Loughgall and Coagh have met many times and they have always proved to be entertaining fixtures. In the early stages the game flowed from end to end, Hull pulled a shot wide while at the other end Brady nearly headed into his own net from an Aaron Thornton delivery.

As Coagh pushed forward, two of the Loughgall players were having difficulty keeping their boots on. Both Chris Hull and David Hawthorne were seen running with only one boot on but when they got their problem solved both had shots wide off the post.

Coagh continued to create chances, Gillespie and Ferguson set up Marcus Dallas but Robinson was equal to his shot. Campbell and Gillespie had shots just wide before the home side caught Coagh on the break, Pedlow got behind the Coagh defence but Johnny Yorke came out quickly to make the block.

Marty Verner clipped the post and the same player shot over from a free kick after Donaldson had fouled. Thornton, Ferguson and Park opened up the home defence with another sizzling run but Dallas’ final shot was deflected for another Coagh corner

Near the end of the half Ferguson missed a great opportunity to give Coagh the lead as he shot tamely into the hands of Robinson.

Loughgall came out and were on a mission to score as they pegged Coagh back. The home side forced four corners in quick succession but could find no way past the in-form Johnny Yorke, but Yorke could do nothing when he was fouled from Loughgall’s fifth corner and when the whistle went everyone, including the home side who had started to walk away thinking it was a free out for Coagh.

Instead the referee pointed to the spot to everyone’s surprise. Marty Verner stepped up and said thank you Mr Basketfield as he sent Yorke the wrong way. Coagh soon had five forwards on the field as they brought on Johnny Black, and Mark Scott as well as moving Steven Hawe upfront, but the damage was done.

Coagh tried and tried but it was the home side that held on to go through to the next round. Four weeks and five matches away from home Coagh are glad to be home this weekend in the league to Sports and Leisure. Kick off 3pm at Hagan Park.

Loughgall, 1-Roberson, 2-Hall, 16-Doyle, 4-Hull,5-King,14-Ferguson,7-Malone,8-Hawthorne, 19-Pedlow,10-Verner,11-Brady,12-Guy,23-Taggert,3R-odgers.

Coagh, Yorke, McGeown, Thornton, Calderwood, Hawe, Ferguson, Dallas, Donaldson, Park, Campbell, Gillespie, Anderson, Scott, Black, McGarvey, McKenzie G.K.

Referee Damian Basketfield.