Duddy treble sinks Greysteel

Greysteel...(2) 2

O’Connor (7); McElhinney (44)

BBOB...(1) 4

Long (23); Duddy (55, 64 & 84)

STRIKER Alan Duddy scored an impressive hat-trick to give BBOB a deserved 4-2 win at Greysteel, on Saturday.

On this display, manager Don Olphert will be pleased as his side showed great character to come back twice and in doing so book their place in the City Cup second round.

Although Duddy will grab all the headlines with his super hat-trick, but midfielder Nicky Cooke and young defender Johnny Henderson also played their part in the win.

The deadlock was broken on seven minutes in superb fashion when Kevin McGuinness’ right wing cross found Niall O’Connor and he calmly planted his close range header over BB keeper Steven Scroggie and into the net.

Cooke went close to levelling things on 19 minutes but his 20 yard drive, was easily gathered by Steven Lynch.

BB did equalise four minutes later when Duddy battled hard to keep their attack alive and when the ball fell to fellow front man Chris Long he calmly side footed home from just inside the area, firing high past Lynch.

Just as the visitors started to get the upper hand they nearly fell a goal behind again on 40 minutes when Daniel McElhinney’s well struck shot was calmly kept out by Scroggie.

Scroggie came to his side’s rescue just before the break when again he made a tremendous save to deny McElhinney, however there was nothing the BB keeper could do from the resulting corner.

Harkin’s left wing corner found McElhinney at the near post and his glancing header, which beat Scroggie was adjudged to have crossed the line by referee John Crossan, despite Johnny Moore’s best attempts on the line.

Ten minutes into the second half Olphert’s men levelled for a second time when that man Duddy made no mistake from close range, after Moore’s cut-back found the striker.

Just after the hour mark and Duddy netted his second of the game in spectacular fashion, to give the visitors the lead for the first time in the tie.

He broke the offside trap before showing great composure and chipped the out-rushing Lynch from just outside the box.

Ten minutes from time Greysteel missed a golden chance to equalise when O’Connor out-muscled Ryan Holden, but he shot wide when well placed inside the area.

That miss came back to haunt Paddy Irvine’s side as Duddy ended the game as a contest on 84 minutes.

Duddy won possession, before racing clear of the Greysteel defence and for a second time lifted the ball over the diving Lynch.

Greysteel: Steven Lynch, Anthony McLaughlin, Steven King, Daniel McElhinney, Aaron Cassidy, Declan Doherty, Kevin McGuinness, Ordhran McKinney, Niall O’Connor, Declan McGuinness, Ciaran Harkin. Subs: Gary McGinnis, Mickey McGurk.

BBOB: Steven Scroggie, Johnny Moore, Chris Long, Damien McCauley, Kyle McCallion, Johnny Henderson, Nicky Cooke, Gary Brown, Alan Duddy, Victor Dougherty, Ryan Holden. Sub: Steven Dougherty.

Referee: Mr John Crossan.