Football: Coagh United lose out to late Annagh goal

Annagh United 3-2 Coagh UnitedThis match saw two brothers face each other from the dugout but although Dean came out on top with a 90th minute goal that looked well off-side his brother Andy pushed him all the way with a sharp looking Hagan Park side.

Coagh's James Ferguson
Coagh's James Ferguson
Coagh's James Ferguson

Coagh paraded three new signing; Stewart Forrest came in from Tobermore, Thai Blevins finally made his debut after training with Coagh at the start of the season.

Both the former Tobermore and Loughgall players sealed a very good performance when Forrest’s pass allowed Blevins to open the scoring in the first half.

Coagh also had local lad Gareth McKinless on the bench, Gareth made his debut in the second half and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet. This match

started fast and furious on Annagh’s 3G surface. William Hassan’s first action was to save his own players defected shot, Hassan did well to turn Thornton’s shot off the post.

From the break Coagh carved an opening, Stewart Forrest found Thai Blevins on the left and the winger skipped past the home defence to score low into the corner after five minutes.

Coagh pressed on with Kempton bringing a save out of Fox.

Stephen Glasgow and Thornton combined well with Ferguson and Scott McGeown to keep the home side at bay.

Shea Campbell linked well with former Coagh favourite Steven Park with Parks shot pulled wide.

This match went nowhere for 20 minutes as the battle for control in the midfield continued.

Raymond Harpur was first into referee Raymond Hetherington’s book for a foul on James Ferguson. From the free Stephen Glasgow and Dermot McGuckin forced Coagh’s first corner with Thornton powerful header skinning the cross bar.

Near the end Annagh again caught Coagh on the break but neither Gardiner nor Campbell could get a touch on Stretton’s cross.

As the half faded out Mark Taylor was out of luck after he ran clear from a Scott McGeown pass only to see the home stopper make the save.

Coagh made a very lazy start to the second half which allowed the home side to command the game. Jamie Gardiner ran down the left to open up the Coagh defence and when he slipped past James Ferguson his cross was an easy tap in for the experienced Shea Campbell.

The home side were first with a change, Francis McCann making way for Alan Nesbitt.

Annagh continued to press with Campbell and Gardiner looking dangerous in the final third but could find no way past the Coagh back line.

The visitors were forced to shoot from distance with Kempton and Taylor both shooting over the top.

Annagh took the lead after Gardner and Park linked well, Gardner’s cross was punched clear by Hassan but fell nicely to Raymond Harper’s feet with the Annagh player volleying into goal for the lead.

Coagh gave a debut to local lad Gareth McKinless, he replaced Taylor and went straight on the attack but Fox made the save. Coagh continued to catch the home side on the break with McGuckin and Young both missing chances.

Alan Nesbitt and Jamie Gardiner continued to give James Ferguson a headache and when Gardner’s cross found Harper it took a good intervention from Johnny Young as he headed his shot via the post to safety.

Thornton had a free kick saved before Dermot McGuckin brought Coagh back level. He nipped in to steal Philip Craig’s back pass to lob the Annagh keeper on 82 minutes.

Both sides still had chances, Annagh’s Steven Park seeing his goalbound shot turned over by Hassan, but Annagh took home all three points. A cross came in from an offside position, Paul Stratton getting the goal on 90 minutes.