FOOTBALL: Six local clubs bite the dust in Border Cup

The Border Cup campaigns of six local clubs may have bitten the dust at the first hurdle at the weekend, but there are still four teams flying the flag for East Antrim in round two.

Lee Thompson appeals to the referee during Larne Tech Old Boys' game against Shankill United on Saturday. INLT 36-216-AM

It’s the best from Barn this season as they saw off current Premier Division pace-setters Malachians 2-1 after extra-time. “The win was well deserved,” said Jim Pherson. “we had more of the chances while their goal was an exceptional strike from a needless free-kick”.

Even so, the tie was only two minutes from penalties before Andy Kane earned Barn a home tie against Crumlin United after Gary McKee cancelled out Mals’ first-half opener.

Mossley can look forward to a home derby against Nortel (who had a first-round bye) after seeing off Downshire YM at The Glade. Mossley manager Garry Campbell conceded: “It was tougher than 4-1 sounds. Downshire battled hard and we had to change our shape to match their extra player in the middle of the park.”

Ciaran Murphy of Crumlin Star and UUJ's Michael McBriarty in action at the Factory Grounds on Saturday. INLT 37-930-CON Photo: Philip McCloy

Downshire scrubbed out Kyle Harper’s early header but a Lee Graham penalty gave Mossley a slender interval advantage. That was soon reinforced by the goal of the match from Graham before substitute Ricky Moore added the icing on the cake late on.

Two goals from Glenn Harris sets Rathfern Rangers up for a trip to Dundonald although manager Bill Campbell admitted: “We were a bit flat. It was a good result, but not a great game, or performance but we’re through.”

There was also a first defeat for Wellington Rec who lost 3-1 away to a Rathfriland Rangers. However, it was ex-Carrick Rangers striker James Costello who was the real difference between the sides, scoring two of Rangers’ three goals. Michael Moore was the Rec marksman.

Out too are Larne Tech OB, beaten 2-0 at home by Shankill United. Manager Johnny Hastings said he had ‘no complaints’. “We were beaten by the better side, but good as they were, we were poor, especially after our Steel Cup win the week before. It’s baffling!”

And there will be no Christmas final for David Rollo’s young Islandmagee side who lost 3-1 at Ards Rangers.

UUJ also succumbed to Premier Division opposition losing 6-0 at home to Crumlin Star. Also out are 18th Newtownabbey, who went down 6-2 to Shorts after extra-time (Ryan Williams and Gary Sloan got their goals), while Newington Rangers suffered a 3-0 defeat at Holywood FC.