Four star ’Stute sinks title contenders Duns

Institute secured a full deserved 4-0 win over fellow title contenders Dundela, on Saturday.

Institute's Stephen Parkhouse heads in the sides second goal at the Riverside Stadium. (DER1114PG010)

The Drumahoe club played some good stuff throughout the 90 minutes and their second goal in particular just oozed class.

The Belfast men who had Andrew Ferguson sent-off just after the mid-way point of the first half, never really recovered after that dismissal, but they did start the game on the front foot.

However it was the terrible lack of discipline shown by their manager Mark Snodden which was the talking point after the game.

The first half was incredibly disrupted twice by Snodden, who firstly reacted angrily after getting sent-off and then the game was held up again after the Belfast man was asked to leave the pitch area.

On ten minutes the visitors went close when Daniel Burns’ super left footed free-kick from the edge of the box, which had Institute goalkeeper Michael Doherty beaten, smacked the crossbar.

Institute took the lead on 16 minutes following a well worked corner routine.

Michael McCrudden’s right wing corner was cut back to Stephen Parkhouse and his first time shot from 12 yards found the back of the net despite David Murphy and Kyle Owens’ best efforts on the line.

Just at the mid-way point of the half a long punt down field by Doherty ended up finding Stephen O’Flynn but his clever header from just inside the box was pushed over by Dundela keeper Steven McKay.

The Duns were harshly reduced to ten men on 24 minutes as Ferguson was shown a straight red card by referee Stephen Wallace, after a challenge on ’Stute’s Gary Henderson.

Institute doubled their lead following a fantastic move which saw Aaron Walsh slip the ball through to McCrudden and his left wing cross found the in-rushing Parkhouse who made no mistake heading home from close range.

Paul Kee’s side were nearly caught out on 53 minutes but after breaking the offside trap Carl McComb saw his attempted lob over Doherty, flashed just wide.

A terrible goal keeping error by McKay resulted in O’Flynn getting on the score-sheet, he turned the ball home from a tight angle from the left hand side of the box, after the Dundela net-minder completely missed the ball when trying to clear his lines.

Institute added a fourth on 79 minutes when Declan McKeever’s left wing centre found Aaron Walsh and the midfielder’s strike from just inside the box took a slight deflection on it’s way into the net.

Institute: Doherty, Crown, Curran, P McLaughlin, McKeever; McCauley, Walsh, Henderson, McCrudden (Curry 59); Parkhouse (McFadden 84), O’Flynn (Varma 77). Subs: C McLaughlin & Gallagher (not used).