Ipswich visit provides boost for Carniny Youth coaches

TWO Carniny Youth FC coaches recently spent some time at the invitation of Ipswich Town, where they were looked after by former Manshester United legend Sammy Morgan.

Jim Stevenson and Joe Keenan arrived on Thursday morning and went straight to the training ground where they were met by Sammy, who is the Youth Academy Manager.

Sammy showed Joe and Jim round the excellent training grounds which included 11 training pitches, an indoor 4G pitch and the changing rooms.

The coaches then went to the club restaurant and were met by none other than Ipswich Town manager Roy Keane who spent some time with the Carniny coaches and invited them to attend the first team training on Friday morning and the match on Saturday to watch them play Scunthorpe.

Jim and Joe attended youth training sessions where the ‘Tractor Boys’ have the top eight per cent of the best boys in their county coming to their fantastic facilities and they even have signed players from Northern Ireland such as Josh Carson, a former Carniny Youth player.

On Friday morning Joe and Jim attended the first team training session and Roy Keane spent the entire morning with them giving them advice and he even had time for a kick about with the Carniny coaches. Roy Keane then invited Joe and Jim to join all the players and coaches for lunch.

On Saturday morning Joe and Jim attended another training session while there were also two matches played in the morning when the under 16s and under 18s played Coventry City with Josh Carson turning out for the 18s.

Sammy Morgan then presented the Carniny coaches with match tickets for the game and some of the coaching staff presented Jim and Joe with club sweatshirts as a memento of their time spent at Ipswich.

Some great ties have been forged here and Carniny Youth teams will really benefit if they take up the opportunity to attend Ipswich Towns offer to attend this year’s summer training camps.

Meanwhile, in last weekend’s round-up, a Bailey McNeill hat trick contributed to the downfall of Ards Youth in this South Belfast league fixture as the rampant under 11s ran out easy winners by seven goals to nil in a good all round performance.


Carniny 7, Ards Youth 0: An early hat-trick from McNeill consisting of a direct goal from a corner kick, lobbing the keeper inside the box and a 20yrd shot, put the young reds well on their way. The fourth goal came as a Neilly scissor kick from a corner ball, the fifth soon followed with a 25yrd shot by Stewart.

Doherty made it six when he chipped the goal-keeper then a defender from Ards headed into his own goal.

Panel: McClean, Adams, Evans, McGall, McComb, Savage, Stewart, Keenan, McNeill, Neilly, Doherty, McKee and Anderson.


Carniny 3, Glenavon 0: The first score came after 10 mins when Eamon Fyfe coolly side stepped a Glenavon defender before curling the ball in from 20 yards.

Matthew Shevlin scored to double Carninys lead then Shevlin hammered an unstoppable shot into the net off the underside of the bar.

Panel: Marquess, McCullough, Rowe, Harwood, McDonnell, Moore, Fyfe, Feeney, Mairs, Shevlin, Millar, Killough, Sharpe


Carniny 0, Ballywalter 1: A mistake by the Carniny defence in the first five minutes led to the only goal of the game and was the second chance on goal Ballywalter had the whole game.

Panel: Gillespie, D Graham, McNiece, A Graham, Lemon, McCready, Cummings, Nixon, Calderwood, Gamble, Bonnes, Barr, Kirk.


Carniny 1, Glenavon 0: The boys in red came out stronger in the second half and four minutes in a Gary Greene headed into the Glenavon goal.

Carniny were forced to play the last 15 minutes with ten men but held on for the three points.

Panel: Dunlop, White, McAllister, Todd, Greene C, Carson, McKelvey, Black, Greene G, Barr, Apsley, Wright.


Carniny 0, St Andrews 0: This was game of little chances with the best chance of the game came when a Simon Boyd free kick deceived the St Andrews defence and Moore had a great chance to score with a one on one with the keeper but the keeper made a great save.

Panel: Boyd, McDowell, Ross, Kernohan, McWhirter, McIlveen, Waring, Armstrong, Lilley, McCaugheran, Moore, Kerr, McLaughlin, Young.


Carniny 4, Ballywalter 0: Carniny started off superbly with striker Andy Millar heading in at the back post on the 8th minute. Five minutes later Stuart Gilmore beat the Ballywalter keeper with an excellent finish.

Ten minutes before half-time, Philip Scroggie hit an unstoppable strike from 30yards out to make the score 3-0 at half time.

On the 65th minute Paddy Deboys skipped past two defenders and cooly slotted past the keeper to put Carniny into the quarter final against Dunmurry.

Panel: Quigley, McGarry, Thompson, Sands, Dillon, (c) McCartney, Cassidy, Stuart Gilmore, Scroggie, Millar, Scroggie, Kernohan, Cubitt, Moore, Blair.