Raceview back on top of table

RACEVIEW reclaimed top spot in the Ballymena and Provincial Intermediate League on Saturday with a 3-2 win over FC Ballynure.

The Broughshane men are in the handy position of having more points than the teams immediately below them but with less games played.

The main threat may yet come from Coleraine Crusaders who are six points behind Raceview but with two games in hand.


Matches involving locally-based sides this Saturday, March 6, are:

Intermediate League: Clough Rangers Athletic v Kilbride Swifts.

McReynolds Cup, round one: Portglenone v Raceview.

Junior Division One: Raceview Athletic v FC Larne; Magherafelt S Blue Res v Chimney Corner Res.

Junior Division Two: Moyola Park Olympic v Demesne Strollers.

Junior Division Three: Antrim Rovers v Carnlough Swifts.

Linda Welshman Memorial Cup, round two: Dundrod Old Boys v Carniny Amateurs.


Raceview 3, FC Ballynure 2: Both teams started off well and had a chance to score before Gareth Mott scored on the 27th minute to put Raceview into the lead.

Ballynure soon replied to this when after a good attack Phil Hall scored on the 33rd minute which saw the teams on level terms at half-time.

Raceview upped the pace of the game at the start of the second half regaining the lead after Gareth Mott scored his second goal in the game on the 55th minute.

As time began to run down a goal scored by Matt Boyd on the 81st minutes saw them two goals clear.

Ballynure, to their credit, never gave up the chase getting a second goal when Phil Hall scored his second goal in the game on the 88th minute.

Other result: Ballynure Old Boyd 3, Rasharkin United 1.


Carniny Amateurs 4, Tobermore United Reserves 0: This was a very welcome win for Carniny but was certainly a dent in the Tobermore aspirations of finishing in the top two or three in the league championship.

Carniny got off to a blistering start taking the lead after Adam Whitehurst scored on the 4th minute and then added to this when Matthew O'Flaherty chipped the keeper on the 21st minute.

As half-time was almost reached Tyler Norwood increased the Carniny lead when he scored on the 41st minute leaving Tobermore an uphill task in the second half.

Tobermore tried hard to get back into the game in the second half but Carniny held firm and killed off any hope Tobermore had after Steven O'Neil scored on the 80th minute.


Result: Newtownabbey Sevens Reserves 0, Dundrod Old Boys 0.


Chimney Corner Reserves 1, Ballyclare North End 3: This was a good win for North End against a team from a division higher than themselves.

North End took the lead on the 15th minute when David Cross scored direct from a corner kick and with this goal, Corner had to chase the game.

Half-time saw North End still a goal to the good then on the 68th minute Ricky Thompson scored to double the lead.

Corner hit back after this getting back into the game when Henry Nutter scored on the 78th minute but as time was then running out David Cross ensured the win for North End when he scored his second goal in the game on the 86th minute.

Other result: Newtownabbey FC 6, Woodlands 0.

Round three result: Newtownabbey Sevens 2, Finvoy 3.


Glebe Rangers Reserves 4, Antrim Rovers 1: Rovers, from Division Three, though beaten by Glebe from the First Division gave a good account of themselves and can put this game down to a learning experience.

Glebe took the lead after Gareth Henry converted a penalty on the 11th minute then added a second goal after Ryan Gurney scored on the 36th minute. Neil McVicker added a third goal for Glebe on the 48th minute this scoreline remained until Gareth Henry scored his second goal on the 80th minute.

Time was almost up when Rovers got the goal they deserved after Darryl McNeil scored on the 88th minute.

Ballymoney United Reserves 3, Raceview Athletic 1: This was a closely contested game and Ballymoney had to be at their best to overcome a determined Raceview teams who on another day may have taken the game to extra time.

Ballymoney took the lead after Lee McClelland scored on the 21st minute and held this until David Campbell scored the equaliser for Raceview on the 56th minute.

The next goal was to be the crucial one which went to Ballymoney after Lee McClelland scored his second goal on the 72nd minute.

Raceview then had to chase the game again and got caught with Mark Gillan nipping to score a killer third goal for Ballymoney on the 84th minute.

Other results: 3rd Ballyclare Old Boys 0, Moyola Park 1; Ballyclare United 0, Desertmartin Swifts 4; Cookstown Athletic 3, Grange Rangers II 2.