Unlucky for some as Glebe Rangers Old Boys score 13!

Its as you were at the top of the Hutchinson Tiles Winter League with Glebe Rangers Old Boys continueing to lead the way with Millburn 5 points behind although they have a game in hand.

This Saturday, weather permitting sees the semi finals of the Coleraine FC Social Club Knockout Shield take place with two interesting ties. The top two meet at Rugby Avenue 1 and with a draw between each other this season, this one is hard to call.

The other semi final is a similar situation with Dunaghy entertaining The Villagers who also drew with against each in their league fixtures this season. Expect extra time and maybe penalties in both fixtures.

Glebe Rangers Old Boys 13 North Coast United 0

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Glebe entertained North Coast at Megaw Park on Saturday and continued their recent good form with a comfortable 13-0 win. Glebe started on the front foot right from the start and were two up within 15 minutes through Andy Shepherd and Stephen Ramsey. Dean Kane made it three 10 minutes later when Bellingham headed a McDonald corner back across goal and he was on hand to knock it in.

It was 4-0 when kane headed in his second from another Mcdonald corner and Ramsey also scored his second of the game to make it 5-0 to Glebe at halftime. Glebe never took their foot of the pedal in the second half and scored further goals through Shepherd, who helped himself to a hat-trick, McBride, Steele, Elder, McFetridge and two more for Kane to take his tally to four for the day. Dean Kane (Glebe Rangers Old Boys)

The Villagers 1 Berthas FC 1

These sides came together on a cold winter’s day in Castlerock. Gaile came close for the Villagers as his shot drifted over. Berthas took the lead with a fine finish from Stewart on 19 minutes. After the goal the half petered out without much action.

Into the second half and both sides had further chances with Gaile and Sweeney going close for the Villagers and Stirling made some great saves to deny Berthas. The Villagers secured a point, somewhat against the run of play with a late equaliser from Pollock, Whyte showed great commitment to win the ball, he passed to Thompson whose effort was to hot for the keeper to handle and Pollock picked up the crumbs for 1-1. Man of the Match: Rhys Stirling (Villagers FC)

Dunaghy Old Boys 3 Coleraine Olympic 0

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Olympic had conceded nine in the cup to the same opposition but were determined that there would be no repeat. It was nip and tuck for the first half hour with Olympic just shading it, but when they conceded a free kick 30 yards out A Blair floated one into the back post M Blair Jr running behind the last defender meeting it on the volley giving the keeper no chance at his near post. Five minutes later it was two when Ian Blair whipped in a ball which an Olympic defender turned into his own net with Dunaghy’s forwards waiting to pounce.

The second half started with the Old Boys enjoying a lot more of the play, but through bad finishing and good keeping they could not find the net. Olympic hit on the break making O’Neill pull off a couple of good saves. On 80 minutes M Blair snr nutmegged a defender unleashed a pile driver from 30 yards which came back of the crossbar and Christie was the first to react smashing in a half volley to wrap up all three points for the old boys. Man of the Match: Joe Patton (Dunaghy Old Boys)

Ballyrashane FC 3 Portrush Old Boys 3

Ballyrashane entertained Portrush Old Boys at the Crescent and with both teams missing players. On paper it looked to be a tight game and this proved to be the case. Both teams had early chances and fought hard for possession. The away side just edged it and got their reward with a well taken goal from Todd on the half hour mark. This sparked the home side into life and just before the half Tennent found himself in the box to slot home from close range leveling the scoreline with one minute remaining of the half.

The second half began with McPartland firing wide and almost giving his team the lead further chances from Gray Watton and Campbell sailed wide. The Old Boys though were the ones to score again as Todd’s clever effort flew over Winston and into the far corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The minutes later Ballyrashane levelled things up again as McPartland curled in a free kick from just outside the box.

The home side pushed on with the bit between there teeth and some excellent work from Wallace, McCaw and Campbell allowed Gray to burst down the right-hand side and set up Mcpartland for his brace. At 3-2 the game looked over but there was more drama to come as Ballyrashane looked to have a decent shout for a penalty turned down before Portrush broke and McClarty, who was a handful all game, headed home Todd’s excellent cross. Man of the Match: Aaron Wallace (Ballyrashane FC)

West Bann Athletic 2 Balnamore FC

Balnamore started this match at a high tempo, pressing West Bann hard, high up the pitch. This pressure paid off with Connor and Hegarty putting Balnamore two up within 15 minutes. West Bann were very unlike the team that heavily defeated Balnamore only a couple of weeks previous. Later into the first half Connor got another goal after some neat link up with Kelly. Armstrong rounded of a superb half with a brave header at the back post.

Balnamore started the second half brightly and had a debatable penalty awarded but this resulted in a fine save from the West Bann keeper. This let off seemed to spur West Bann into action committing more men forward. The momentum of the match totally changed after Rodger found himself through on goal and neatly finished.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

West Bann pulled another back shortly after with McCorriston rising high to power a header home. Balnamore held on for the last 20 minutes with their Keeper making an important double save to maintain their two goal advantage to the final whistle. Man of the Match: Conor McCorriston (West Bann Athletic)

Related topics: