Woodlands push Rovers all the way, Middleton sinks Carnlough

Your weekly round-up of the East Antrim teams involved in Ballymena and Provincial League action.
Michael Brown and Andrew McIlrath pictured in Saturday's game. INLT 11-407-RMMichael Brown and Andrew McIlrath pictured in Saturday's game. INLT 11-407-RM
Michael Brown and Andrew McIlrath pictured in Saturday's game. INLT 11-407-RM

Intermediate Division: Rathcoole were edged out 3-2 at Dunloy. John McFerran struck early in both halves to put the Duns in the driving seat but Rathcoole pulled one back. Brendan McGarry put the home side 3-1 up before Rathcoole replied for a second time.

Junior Division One: Goals from Darryl Brammeld and Jonny Rogers gave Antrim Rovers a 2-0 lead inside the opening 10 minutes against Woodlands.

Ross Oliver reduced the deficit when he converted a penalty in the 40th minute before scoring an equaliser on the stroke of half-time. Play swung from end to end in the second half until Thomas Bownes hit the winner for Rovers with five minutes remaining.

Mallusk Athletic finished off their league campaign with a 3-0 win over Cookstown Olympic. Michael Frew, Aaron Finn and Paul Walker were all on the scoresheet.

FC Whiteabbey’s match with Desertmartin Swifts was abandoned by referee Adrian Dodds with the Whites 5-3 up. According to a report issued by the league secretary, the referee was “confronted on the field of play by a person who should not have been there”. Junior Division Two: Krag Albion bagged a 5-1 win over Newington YC II. Krag’s goals came courtesy of Lee Lowry, Dean Meneely (two), Dean Haggan and an own goal. Ryan Davidson scored twice for Newington.

A James Brown hat-trick and strikes from Neil Murphy and Brian Horan helped Remo to a 5-2 victory over Brantwood Reserves.

Junior Division Three: Whitehead Rangers secured maximum points with a 3-1 success at 1st Carrick Old Boys. Danny Hastings put Rangers in front in the 20th minute and Chris Sands hit the equaliser for the Old Boys in the 40th minute. Phil Hall’s second-half brace wrapped up the win for Rangers.

It was a magnificent seven without reply for Mountainview who hammered Remo Reserves.

William Cushley (three) Steven Sweetlove, Aaron Bickerstaff, Billy Brown and John Adams were among the goals.

Castle Star won 3-1 at Red Star thanks to goals from Michael Dallas, Nathan Poulter and Lloyd Watters. Stephen Bittles provided Red Star’s response.

Rathcoole Reserves edged to a 2-1 win at Ballysillan Swifts Reserves and Mallusk Athletic Reserves eased to a 5-1 success away to Carnlough Swifts. A Ross Middleton hat-trick and strikes from Andy Brownlee and Ross Hunter accounted for Mallusk’s goals. Declan McDermott landed Carnlough’s consolation.

Welshman Cup R3: 3rd Ballyclare Old Boys missed out on a semi-final berth, exiting the competition after a 3-1 defeat to Sport and Leisure Swifts Reserves. Adam Gilmore netted Ballyclare’s only goal with Francis Harbinson (two) and Ciaran Flynn on target for the west Belfast side.