Tragedy strikes at Skerries races

ROAD racing was again plunged into grief when Myles Byrne, from Knocklyon, Co. Dublin died at Saturday's Skerries 100 meeting.

Mylo, who was in his mid 30's and married, touched another rider on the fast approach to Dublin Corner.

Despite the best efforts of the MCUI Medical Team, he died at the scene. A marshal and a spectator were also hurt in the same incident, but neither seriously, I understand.

A very experienced rider, he had taken part in road races all over Ireland, as well as the Manx Grand Prix. The accident happened on the second lap of the Grand Final. Racing was immediatly abandoned as a mark of respect.

Earlier, Manxman Allan Brew won the first race of the day, the 250/350 Classic. He beat off a challenge from Glaswegian Denis Gallagher to take the win, while Trevor Rufus finished a second behind Gallagher in third. Alan Jackson won the 250 category.

Local man Barry Davidson, in 10th place overall, was the fourth 250 home, riding Sammy Dempster's beautiful little 198 Honda.

Ryan Farquhar completely destroyed the opposition in the Supertwins race. He hit the front right from the start, and was never under any kind of pressure, taking the flag 17 seconds ahead of John Burrows. Skerries man Andy Farrell finished about 3 seconds behind Burrows, in third place.

Keith Amor came to the line for the Open race, trying to repeat his 2009 win. It didn't happen for the Falkirk man, and he had to settle for second best, as Killyman's Ryan

Farquhar blasted his Kawasaki to a 3.4 seconds win. Amor was runner up, with Michael Dunlop well in touch with, just .1 down at the finish.

Skerries man David Yeomans won at the track that is nearly within earshot of his home. Yomo finished 1.6 seconds ahead of Paul Barron, a former regular in BSB meetings. In third position, Scot Craig Shirlaw was about half a second behind Barron.

Jonny Mark was the only local man to finish, the Ballymena man taking 11th place.

Michael Dunlop took a convincing win in the 250 Junior race. He crossed the line almost 11 seconds ahead of Saintfield man Davy Morgan while William Dunlop was third, just over 2 seconds off the pace.

Barry Davidson was again the only local rider listed as a finisher. He took fourth place on the CB Racing Honda.

A shower of rain brought the red flags out in the 125/Moto450 race, after only a couple of laps had been run.

On the restart, over 5 laps, Ryan Farquhar and William Dunlop were the men who made the running. After their much publicised disagreement over whether or not the 450s should be allowed to score points and lift prizemoney in the 125 class, it was Dunlop, on a 125, who registered the race win. He pipped Farquhar by .3 of a second, while Paul Robinson was over 17 seconds back in third place.

The only local man I have listed as a finisher was Bary Davidson, on Bobby Logans Honda. Barry brought the wee bike home in 9th place. Jeff Shaw, also riding with the backing of Bobby Logan, isn't listed as a starter in the race results, but I do know he did start. I can’t, in all honesty, say he finished, but I’m pretty sure I saw him cross the line at the end. Odd.

There were red flags too in the Senior Classic race, but only because some eejit set fire to a bank along the side of the track.

With that sorted, Manxman Allan Brew, winner of the earlier Classic race, brought his G50 to home to a win in the 500 category, over 13 seconds ahead of Gary Jamison, while Alan Jackson was third. Bert McCrum won the 1000cc class, 11.6 seconds ahead of Mark McGaw, while Combers John Scott was third, on the Rob North Triumph.

A very rare thing happened in the Supersport 600 race, which turned out to be the best race of the day. Not only did someone pass Ryan Farquhar, but managed to beat him!

Going into Dublin Corner, with about 3 laps to go, Keith Amor took the outside line round Ryan, hanging to to finish .3 ahead of him. Michael Dunlop was just .03 short of a second place. Michael’s elder brother William was fourth, the top three riders all inside a second of each other.

The last race to run its course was the 600 Open non qualifiers event. Riding the Maine Club backed CBR600, Kilrea's William Davison destroyed the opposition.

He was never anything only ahead in this one, with eventual second placed Andrew Courtney finishing 12.5 seconds back. David Lumsden, from nearby Skerries was third.

Kells' Dennis Booth finished in 15th place, but unfortunately, the results dont give his fastest lap, just the time of it, so if you can make any sense out of it, the lap took Den 1:50.857.

The Grand Final was stopped on lap 2, with Farquhar and Amor shaping up to another tight race. It was decided more or less immediatly that no more racing would take place after the fatal crash involving Myles Byrne.

I would like to place on record my condolences to his family. Mylo always had time for a yarn, and on Saturday morning, when he was filling his bikes with petrol, I had a few minutes chatting to him.

He was looking forward to the racing, on what was his local track. He used to be like a double act with Herbie Ronan, and I had many good laughs talking to both of them in the paddock. I'll miss seeing him a lot.


Portadown's Marshal Neill took a win at Mondello Park on Sunday, in the feature race of the day, the Monarch of Mondello.

Unfortunately, race results werent e mailed to me as they normally are, so I can only go from memory, as I didnt even make notes during racing.

I do remember that the English Brothers, Robert and Christopher had a 1-2 in both the GP125 races. Glenn Irwin was simply in a class of his own in the Supersport races, lapping faster than the Superbikes and breaking the Supersport lap record.

Marshal Neill won both Superbike races, with Brian McCormack and David Haire having a second and a third each. In the Monarch race, watched by former winner Conor McGinn, Brian McCormack was the early leader, but he was soon passed by Neill, who moved away to take the race win. Glenn Irwin was well in touch, in third place.


This coming weekend the Walderstown road races will take place. Racing will be on Sunday, with practice on the Saturday.