Penalty joy for Distillery

Lisburn Distillery’s long trip to Institute for the Irish Cup fourth round was made well worthwhile as they won 5-4 on penalties.

The game finished 1-1 after normal time and went on to spot-kicks before the Whites claimed their impressive victory over a side flying-high in second spot in Championship One.

They started the game brightly as Glen Upton rattled a shot off the crossbar. Distillery continued to put pressure on the home defence but against the run of play, Institute scored. A delightful Stephen O’Donnell ball over the top found Darren McCauley who smashed a superb volley into the back of the Distillery net leaving Whites keeper Ryan McBride with no chance.

The Whites weren’t behind for long as the troublesome Upton equalised with a smashing volley from a floated cross on 19 minutes.

Institute almost regained their advantage as a powerful Gary Henderson effort beat McBride but the bar came to the keeper’s rescue. The Whites soon put the pressure back on ‘Stute as both Ben Browne and that man Upton whistled efforts just wide.

There was constant Institute pressure at the start of the second half but McKeever’s shot sailed over McBride’s crossbar and the young keeper then did well to hold Varma’s powerful free-kick.

Institute kept up their pressure and soon McFadden’s bullet header hit the net but thankfully for the Whites it was only the side netting.

Home keeper Doherty then made two fabulous saves to deny the Whites. First he stopped Browne’s menacing free-kick before denying Jimmy McIlhagga’s effort which seemed destined for the back of the net.

Institute pressed hard for the winner in the last 10 minutes of normal play and manager Paul Kee must have thought they had won it on 84 minutes as substitute Stephen Parkhouse missed a sitter, an open net from eight yards following Darren McCauley’s pull back. They kept pushing and young Whites keeper Ryan McBride kept Distillery’s hopes alive making a fantastic one handed save to push Robbie Hume’s shot away from goal in the closing minutes.

That sent the game into extra-time and with no winner to be found, McBride was called into action for the penalty-kicks. The young keeper stopped from Tom Carlin to send the penalties into sudden death.

Michael Fegan kept his cool to score for the Whites and when Declan McKeever’s effort came back off the crossbar, it was joy for Distillery as they strode into the Fifth Round draw.