Race for league title is set to go the distance

With half the matches now completed in the North West Indoor Bowling League, top of the table, in both divisions could not be tighter.
Competitors at the Second Kilrea pairs finals held at the Bowling Hall.Competitors at the Second Kilrea pairs finals held at the Bowling Hall.
Competitors at the Second Kilrea pairs finals held at the Bowling Hall.

In Division 1 two and a half points separate the top five teams. The big movers in Division 1 are Dunluce who have won their last three matches to go second; in Division 2, Finvoy Presbyterian and Moneydig are equal tops.

Loughanreagh travelled out to Bushmills to play their old rivals Dunluce. Ian Ross (L’reagh) took on Alastair Kilkpatrick (Dunluce) and won 11-5. The second game between Barry Kane (Dunluce) and Alan Irwin (L’reagh) ended all square at 8-8. Uel McKeeman (Dunluce) beat Edwin Irwin (L’reagh) 16-5 to make the game secure for Dunluce, Rodney Kane got the better of Alastair Steele, winning by three shots.

Dunloy Presbyterian, with a home win over fellow strugglers Second Kilrea have climbed a couple of places up the League table. Joe Campbell (Dunloy) beat Brian McGrath (2nd. Kilrea) 12-8. Stephen Dunlop made it 2-0 for the home team with a one shot win against Margaret Johnston (2nd. Kilrea). In the second half Thomas Paul made it three nil for Dunloy by beating Graeme Wilson (2nd. Kilrea) 12-11 and Mark Shaw (Dunloy) made it a full house with a two shot win over Ivan Smyth (2nd. KIlrea).

The Marian made the short trip down to Aghadowey to play St. Mary’s and came away with 4.5 points. It started well for the home team when Harold Kelly had one shot to spare in his game with Terrence McGarry (Marian). James Martin squared the match with a 10-7 win against Declan McCann (St. Mary’s). David Gaile (St. Mary’s) and Brian McAlary (Marian) could not be separated at 10-10. It was William McCaw who gave the Marian the overall score with an 8-7 win in his game with Jordon Mullan (St. Mary’s).

The Boveedy versus St. Colman’s match was postponed owing to the ongoing IIBA championships.

Moneydig did not relish the prospect of playing on the fast mats out at Drumreagh but they need not have worried for they went home very happy with the full seven points having beaten an under strength Drumreagh. Trevor Workman got Moneydig off to a good start with a one shot win against Raymond Clyde (D’reagh). Brian McFetridge made it 2-0 for the visitors, beating Carson Boyd 16-3. It got no better for Drumreagh after the break with Alan McAleese and William Knight, both Moneydig having wins against Heather Arbuthnot and Charmaine Hughes (D’reagh) respectively.

Garvagh and District entertained First Coleraine. It started well for the visitors when Bryan Shaw defeated Elizabeth McCafferty (Garvagh), 13-7. Ken McLenaghan levelled the match for Garvagh with an eight shot win against Clifford McLernon (1st. Coleraine). In the second half Geoffery Boyce (Garvagh) and Jim Campbell (1st. Coleraine) played out a draw, each scoring eight shots. It was young Peter Reynolds who won the bonus points for the home team with a 9-6 shot win over John Weeks (1st. Coleraine).

Finvoy Presbyterian are still well in contention for promotion to Division 1 and this win over New Row helps them strive towards that goal. Chris Jones put Finvoy on the score sheet with a 12-8 victory over Jonathan Elder (New Row). Sammy McArthur (New Row) then played out a 10 shots apiece draw with Donna McCloy (Finvoy).

Joe Elkin eased New Row ahead when he beat Roy Hunter (Finvoy) 12-7. It was left to young Adam Hunter to secure the overall win for Finvoy with a 12-4 win against Mark Callaghan (New Row).

Related topics: