Woodsy’s wonders run riot on Academy

WITH Bann Fourths stepping onto their ‘lucky’ pitch at Rifle Park, this grudge match was one that Team Manager John Woods wanted to win after the visitors had edged home by a point at Roughfort in November.

After eight minutes sparring Bann opened the floodgates on what was to be a fine display of rugby against a very disorganised Academy side.

Andy Davison got the first try of the game after a great run from Stu Faulkner and the off-load timed perfectly, Francois Viljoen adding the conversion.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Great loose play from Barney McKevitt, Paul Ross and Peter Irvine ensured that Bann had the rucks tied up from the early stages.

The second try came on 17 minutes and was the result of great line-out catching from the on-form Michael Henning, with the drive from five metres out putting Michael McKee in at the posts, Viljoen again converting.

From the re-start Bann made 40 metres and formed a ruck, and with a dynamic one handed pick-up and pop from McKee, captain Kris Coleman was able to offload to Viljoen who scored under the posts and converted.

Chris Craig was the next to score, with a great solo run from deep breaking Academy’s defence with ease.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Academy lost a player after 20 minutes and with the score 28-0, the game was almost certainly over as a contest. With great throwing and catching in the line outs, Bann were able to capitalise and Coleman saw a gap and scored from the back of a ruck.

Again from the off McKevitt plucked the ball from the air and made a break, Chris Berry took the offload and popped to Hugh Dennis who made no mistake and scored in the corner.

The Academy heads had dropped at this point and from the restart Craig made another blistering run and passed to Paul Ross who scored under the posts.

When McKevitt again got up to pace he again proved unstoppable, grabbing his second before Matthew Kerr kept up his scoring habit, scoring under the posts.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With a half time score of 59-0 this game was all but over, and with four tries in quick succession from Irvine, Kerr, McKee and Viljoen, the game was quickly put to bed!

Paul Ross put a great effort in and scored his second try with a chip-and-chase under the posts, and the last play of the game saw Man-of-the-Match Viljoen run in for his hat-trick unopposed.

Related topics: