Under 13s top their section

IT’S a busy time for Lurgan under 13s as they tried to play all six of their league games in the first two weeks of August.

Having been unable to get a single league match played during June and July due to the weather, the Under 13’s A team faced the daunting task of trying to play all the games.

First they took on CSNI at Pollock Park. The visitors batted first but found themselves in early trouble with Callum Gibson and Neil Allen both taking a wicket in their opening overs. Lewis Lawson added a run out with a direct hit and when Allen claimed his second wicket CSNI were in deep trouble at 6 for 4 off 7 overs.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Clarke and McCord set about repairing the damage by putting on 41 runs for the fifth wicket. Lawson was the bowler who broke the partnership when he had Clarke stumped by Scott Wilson. CSNI finished their innings on 53 for 9. In reply, the Tigers lost Scott Wilson early on but Callum Gibson (18), Lewis Lawson (8) and Jack Maxwell (17 not out) ensured Lurgan passed CSNI’s total with seven overs to spare.

The Tigers second match against Instonians B at Shaw’s Bridge was a much tighter affair. Batting first Instonians posted a healthy 83 for 6 in their 20 overs. Harry Lockhart and Neil Allen were the most successful Lurgan bowlers with figures of 2 for 7 and 2 for 17 respectfully.

The Tigers run chase did not start well with the loss of two early wickets but Scott Wilson and Neil Allen batted with great composure taking ones and twos and hitting the bad ball for four. Their partnership of 63 included nine fours, one of which took Wilson to his half century. Both players were out in the final overs but Mark Hutchinson and Lewis Lawson were on hand to hit the winning runs.

The Tigers third match was a home tie against Cregagh. Batting first, the Belfast side posted 78 for nine in their 20 overs. This was dominated by an excellent innings of 41 by opener Stuart Nelson who batted the whole way through, finishing on 41 not out. The pick of the Lurgan bowlers was Callum Gibson who returned figures of 4 for 15 from his four overs.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Lurgan reply started well with Jack Maxwell and Callum Gibson scoring freely. After eight overs they had taken the score to 41 for the loss of only one wicket and the Tigers appeared to be heading for another win. However, the loss of Gibson for 12 and then Maxwell in the next over for 21 brought Cregagh right back into the match. Mark Hutchinson added eight but it was left to Lewis Lawson and Ethan Currie to try and finish the game.

Going into the last over the Tigers required three runs to win. A two off the third ball brought the scores level but going into the last ball the Tigers still needed one to win. A huge swing by Currie did not make contact with the ball but quick thinking by Lawson saw the pair scramble a bye to win the game.

The Tigers were also due to play Holywood and Derriaghy but both these side were unable to fulfil the fixtures and the Tigers were awarded the points. This meant that the under 13s were assured of finishing top of their group going into their last game against CIYMS. Having put the visitors CIYMS were able to take advantage scoring 96 in their 20 overs. In reply the Tigers also struggled with the bat finishing 20 runs short.

The Tigers now take on Instonians this Friday evening, August 17, at Pollock Park in the league semi final. If they are successful they will play the winners of Carrick and Lisburn in the final.

Related topics: