Journey to Enniskillen proves fruitless for Randalstown

Randalstown travelled to Mullaghmeen to take on a strong Enniskillen side and were beaten by 18 points to 11.

A Randalstown Seconds player pops the ball loose before he is tackled by a Portadown Seconds opponent. Picture: Marc Lawrence.

Despite some rejigging at the last minute, and the absence of captain Wilson who is injured, they came away in the end with a losing bonus point, but had at even in the closing stages the opportunity to win this game.

After 15 minutes Randalstown began to enjoy much more possession, and a good attacking movement resulted in David Smyth opening the scoring with a well taken try but almost immediately Enniskillen hit back with a penalty to make the score 3-5.

After 35 minutes a penalty in the Randalstown corner allowed Enniskillen to force their way over for a try which their kicker failed to converted. It was a blow for ‘Town when Gary Hume,the young Randalstown prop, was yellow carded for what looked like a first time offence coming in at the side of a ruck. This numerical advantage gave Enniskillen the opportunity to score a second try and a penalty to make the half time score 18-5.

A Randalstown Second XV player feels the effects of this tackle from a Portadown Seconds opponent. Picture: Marc Lawrence.

With wind and slope advantage in the second half Randalstown continued to fight back and in particular took control of the set scrums and a penalty by Martin Connolly brought the score back to 18-8.

With time slipping away Connolly kicked a second penalty to bring Randalstown within one score of the home team. Despite laying siege on the Enniskillen line for the last few minutes Randalstown just failed to get the try they deserved.


Randalstown II 16, Portadown II 20: The seconds started strongly at Neillsbrook and took an early lead with a well taken try following good work from Orr in the centre to put Winter away. A penalty followed and with half an hour on the clock it was looking bright for the ‘Town men. Shortly after the restart a break by scrum half Mason led to another penalty opportunity well taken again by Murray.

Randalstown Seconds on the attack during Saturday's match against Portadown. Picture: Marc Lawrence.

Some disruption following injuries allowed the visitors in for a converted try. Turner did well in midfield to secure loose ball and set Murray off up the wing for an unconverted try. Almost immediately a mistake by ‘Town allowed the visiting winger to scoot away and narrow the gap to 16-14.

A further injury to Mason and a yellow card saw two further penalties conceded which Portadown converted.